Do cavities and Invisalign clear aligners work together? Unfortunately not. There are many reasons why getting Invisalign with cavities is not a smart move, and we are to discuss every aspect of it.
Can You Get Aligners If You Have A Cavity?
So, let’s address the burning question – can you get aligners if you have a cavity? It is not advisable. If you have a cavity, treating it before starting your teeth alignment journey is a must. The good news is that you can still get your cavities treated while using Invisalign. In rare cases where aligners don’t fit after cavity treatment, your doctor can request replacements at little or no extra cost.
Do Clear Aligners Increase the Risk of Cavities? Or Cause Cavities?
No, clear aligners, braces, or any other orthodontic treatment are not directly related to cavities or make them more likely to happen. However, using aligners means extra oral hygiene care.
Cavity after Using Invisalign? What’s Next?
If you have a pre-existing cavity, your dentist will recommend getting it filled beforehand (starting straightening therapy). But what if you develop a new cavity during treatment? At that point, addressing the cavity becomes the top priority.
If the filling changes your tooth’s shape, you might need to get a new pair of aligners. Do not worry; they will take new impressions or scans to ensure everything fits perfectly.
Can You Avoid Cavities When Using Invisalign?
Here are some tips to keep your teeth squeaky clean with Invisalign on.
- Brush at least 2-3 times every day for around two minutes each time, following ADA recommendations.
- With brushing, do not forget to floss daily and consider using a Waterpik or interdental brush for thorough cleaning.
- Gargle your oral cavity with salt water or mouthwash for at least 30 seconds to disinfect your mouth.
- Limit your intake of sugary/acidic beverages such as soda, beer, and processed juice to reduce wear on your teeth.
- Instead of bottled, choose tap water, which often contains enamel-strengthening fluoride.
- Quit smoking to protect your gums and decrease cavity risk.
- Opt for a toothpaste brand that contains fluoride to strengthen your teeth’ enamel.
- Do not deliberately forget to brush your tongue to eliminate harmful bacteria buildup.
- Visit your dentist for regular check-ups and deep cleanings at least every 6 months.
Contact Saifee Family Dentistry at (281) 350-5600 to get a safe Invisalign plan today. For more details, you can also visit us at 21212 Kuykendahl Rd E, Spring, TX 77379, next to GameStop and Tutti Frutti Yogurt Bar.