Waking up with pain in teeth that gradually goes down with time is not normal. If you are a nocturnal teeth grinder, protecting your teeth from the harmful effects of this involuntary habit is essential. The good news is that the world of dentistry has devices like Night guards that offer a protective solution. However, its effectiveness melts down to choosing professionally designed night guards or buying something off the rack. Let’s take a look at why you should get custom-made ones from your dentist and not choose over-the-counter (OTC) alternatives.
What Are Night Guards?
A night guard is basically a mouth guard worn over your teeth during sleep to prevent grinding. If you find yourself brawling in jaw pain every morning that has started to affect your neck, too, talk to a specialist immediately for help.
Types of Night Guards
Once dentists put out their final word on diagnosis, you have two options to choose from:
- Custom-designed night guard by your dentist, specifically to cater to your needs. They are durable and comfortable to fit accurately.
- Over-the-counter night guard is available in pharmacies. It is a one-size-fits-all design.
Pros and Cons of Both Options
To help you make a better decision, we have explained the benefits and drawbacks of choosing custom-made and over-the-counter night guards.
Benefits of a Professionally Made Night Guard
- Made according to your teeth, ensuring a perfectly comfortable fit.
- More effective protection against headaches, tooth sensitivity, and aches.
- Longer lifespan due to high-quality materials.
- Professional treatment ensures the guard works optimally in safeguarding your oral health.
Benefits of an Over-the-Counter Night Guard
- Much more affordable compared to custom-made options.
- Easily accessible at pharmacies, online retailers, or retail stores.
- A quick fix for those in a hurry.
Drawbacks of an Over-the-Counter Night Guard
- They are usually thicker and made from average-grade materials that may affect comfort during sleep.
- Incorrect impressions can lead to an ill-fitting guard.
- Potentially interfere with breathing.
- Lower quality may result in early wear and tear.
- Difficulty staying in place, especially during sleep.
The Right Choice
Choosing between a custom-made night guard and an over-the-counter one is difficult; however, consider your priorities. Invest in a professionally made night guard if comfort, effectiveness, and durability are important. On the other hand, if affordability is your main concern, an over-the-counter option might be suitable but do consider the potential drawbacks.
When making the final call, keep in mind the long-term benefits of effective bruxism management. Proper intervention prevents further damage to your teeth and ensures a good nighttime sleep that is beneficial for your overall health, too.
Selecting the right night guard boils down to your individual needs and preferences. However, the benefits of choosing custom-made night guards outweigh over-the-counter solutions. Professionally addressing bruxism early on can prevent further damage to your teeth. You can contact Saifee Family Dentistry at (281) 350-5600 to learn more about what we have in store for you and how Dr. Husein Alibhai, an active member of the American Dental Association, can help you. For details, visit us at 21212 Kuykendahl Rd E, Spring, TX 77379, next to GameStop and Tutti Frutti Yogurt Bar.